8.07.2010

Marriage Equality

When I first heard the phrase Marriage Equality, I paused. Hmm. All the marriages I was privy to, from my perspective and my girlfriends' rants, did not have much of the "E-word" present. So, I was envisioning a symbiotic give & give of spiritually mutual co-creativeness between man and woman. Then I hit play and realized what equality it was referring to. Ahhhhh...silly me. Yes, my Me & Youtopian bubble burst. Oh, we are just talking about the same drama with different characters. I say this knowing that one of the first same-sex couples to marry are now divorced. And that many gay couples that are married are struggling with issues when wanting to divorce. This isn't a pessimistic blog on marriage or a commentary to discourage it but rather an acknowledgment that regardless of our gender, race, religion or sexual orientation we are at the heart blood pumping humans that desire to give love and be loved while at a soul's level desires freedom towards spiritual fulfillment within the context of that love...imho.

When people get married because they think it's a long-time love affair, they'll be divorced very soon, because all love affairs end in disappointment. But marriage is a recognition of a spiritual identity. ~ J. Campbell

So, in my acknowledgment of the shift that has taken place regarding same-sex marriage, a shift that I envision continuing, I offer up sincerest thoughts to any couple embarking on this journey that they pave the way with the deepest of their spiritual intentions.