11.01.2011

How To Play The Game

FADE IN:

INT. LOUNGE - NIGHT

ROGER and VICKIE, late 30's, are out having drinks.

VICKIE
Are you ready?

ROGER
Sure.

VICKIE
Truth or Dare?

ROGER
Truth.

VICKIE
(without hesitation)
No one I know really likes you.

ROGER
What?

VICKIE
(matter-of-fact)
I think it would be in your best interest to seek professional help.

ROGER
Wait.

VICKIE
My turn.

ROGER
Wait. That's not how you play.

VICKIE
Roger? I'm telling the truth.

ROGER
Yeah. Except, I'm supposed to tell you the truth. You ask, I confess.

VICKIE
Okay, I'll try again. Would you agree that you have no friends?

ROGER
No, Vickie, I would not agree with that!

VICKIE
This game makes no sense. You seem to be saying that my winning or
losing is contingent upon your "truthful" response? Where is the logic in
that?

ROGER
It's not really about winning or losing.

VICKIE
Or logic.

ROGER
It's just how you play the game! You ask, I confess.

VICKIE
Or I dare, you idiotically do?

ROGER
Well...uh...yeah.

VICKIE
Okay.

ROGER
(bummed)
Truth or Dare?

VICKIE
Dare.

ROGER
You know, I think you should say, truth.

VICKIE
No.

ROGER
I said it.

VICKIE
You didn't have to.

ROGER
Come on, say it.

She refuses.

ROGER
But I have a revelation for you.

VICKIE
You're so manipulative.

ROGER
I didn't realize it was my turn.

VICKIE
Funny! I said, dare.

ROGER
Fine. Fine. I dare you to say truth.

(BEAT)

VICKIE
Truth.

ROGER
No one I know really likes you and I think it would be in your best interest to
seek professional help.

VICKIE
That's cheating! I did what you dared. I said it. I fulfilled my obligation and
therefore consider your comment null and void, hence, untruthful.

She downs a shot of whiskey.

ROGER
They could help you with that too.

VICKIE
How dare you!

ROGER
What? Be so truthful?

VICKIE
Is it your turn? I think it's your turn again.

ROGER
I'm not playing anymore.

VICKIE
So I win by forfeit?
(delighted, she raises her glass)
Yea for me!

ROGER
You didn't win.

VICKIE
You quit.

ROGER
It's not about winning or losing...it's about how you play the game!

VICKIE
Well then Roger, darling, I dare you to play my way.

Roger downs his drink and digs in his heels.

VICKIE
Are you ready?

Hell yeah he is.

VICKIE
Truth or Dare?

FADE OUT.

Commentary: This short came about while feverishly attempting to avoid housework. Sad, I know. Success would have seen a longer version. The house won.

© 2006 AndiWritesAgain