12.01.2009

Tenfold: #4

I have been writing plays since I was five years old. Somewhere in the archives of my mother's bedroom closet there is probably the original Little Bunny Foo-Foo script. Sadly, my spelling has not improved since then but anyone with common sense knows Litel is Little and Bune is Bunny. I might mention that my handwriting hasn't seen any more development since those chunky little fingers put crayon to grocery sack. Anyway, not surprising, in the time of that writing, I had very little self-criticism. I liked all of it. I was marvelous. Later, I tapped into astrology as guide to character development. It was a short cut. A fun way to cheat. I wrote for myself and was enjoying it. But, somewhere, my mind got in the way. Or rather, I decided that I needed the minds of others to measure my marvelousness. Oddly, with my Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Uranus and Pluto in Virgo, I had no business asking for criticism. If anyone knows anything about the stars, a Virgo can be very critical with her most vulnerable subject being herself. So, upon hearing the minds of others, I found myself no longer hopping through the forest, scooping up the field mice and boppin' 'em on the head. It was I who had been bopped on the head. And it hurt. And any truly wounded writer resorts to poetry. Which I did. And I thought it was marvelous and showed it to no one just to keep it that way. Then the most extraordinary thing happened. My son was born. And in the mix of his 13 years of living in this physical world the way he does, he has gifted me an understanding of behavioral analysis, particularly, in predicting his wants and needs. And what is playwriting but the study of human behavior? At least the type of stories I desire to tell. Without going into the details of reinforcement contingencies, extinction procedures, or shaping maladaptive behaviors, it's safe to say I have some sense of human motivation. Human desire. The stuff of creation. And, recently, I went back to the drawing board on the heels of my two fire signs in Jupiter and Saturn inviting the passion of my Scorpion Mars along with the compassion of my Scorpion Neptune to join the party. Translated: I forgave myself for not being perfect and just began to write. I've even used crayons...