5.26.2010

Laws and a Lattes

I was asked what is my religion. My first thought made me ask -- What do I do religiously? My second thought made me giggle --I drink coffee with my girlfriends.

But I know what this person was really asking me. The question was in What do I believe. If I am working under the premise that a belief is simply a practiced thought, I have practiced myself into and out of many Whats. Which leaves me to summit (Correction update: that should be submit...clearly, spell-check doesn't always have my back while I'm prone not to look back to double-check) to my current conclusion, I religiously embrace The Creative Process.* Luckily, I've come to understand it in its most simplest spiritual terms. It has been outlined to me in three steps which I am completely cribbing and reposting here. I do not think they will mind.

I classify these three steps at the top of Basic Religious Tenets 101: Ask and You Shall Receive (with a nice little embedded bonus of 'how-to')!

1: You ask.
That's your work. Whew, almost broke a sweat!

2: The answer is given.
The Universe says, Done, while you were kicking back with your latte.

3. You allow the answer.
This is where we really break sweat. This is the hardest part of the equation...for me, anyway...the letting it in. Sometimes we don't think we deserve what we ask for or we're influenced by others into believing we don't deserve it. I could go deeper and talk about the asking and receiving of negative things but I'm not up to stimulating that vibe right now. But we're always creating -- good or bad -- and the Universe is always giving to us evidence of what are thoughts are projecting. Oh, I almost forgot to add the 'how-to'...follow your feelings. If you're dwelling in positive emotion (allowing), you're creating in the direction of your desire. If you're dwelling in not so great emotion (resistance), you're creating in opposition of your desire. At least, that's how I understand it. It's always the doubt, the contradiction, the frustration, the fear holding up the show. Joy lets it in. And to paraphrase that old saying: It was never about the destination, it was always about the freakin' most awesomeness journey one could come up with. Or something like that.

And here is a lovely positive example of part of my journey...actually, I'll tell it as a story because it's funner that way and I'm all about fun:

There is this really amazing mom :) who is overwhelmed with the changes happening in her life. And to avoid the reality of such overwhelming circumstances decides to think about songwriting while engaging in the normal day to day activities that have to get done. She thinks of songwriting because those thoughts feel good and also inspire her to hum a little tune now and then. She starts to do this somewhat religiously. One night she gets on her computer and logs into one of her favorite social networking site (see a previous blog entitled "Social Nutworking" for additional addiction details) where she makes a friend who turns out to be a budding recording artist who happens to need a couple of songs for an album she is wanting to complete. Oh, and she also happens to like this amazing mom's songs. So the woman askes if she can play around with a couple of the tunes. The mom, that is now amazed, says YES while simultaneously remembering to unload the dishwasher. THE END...for now.

Fun little story, eh? I'm excited to see how it turns out. I think I have an idea but probably need to think on it some more...

Sometimes I Paint

If you had one goal, and that was to feel good, you would never again need to hear another word from anyone. You would live successfully and happily and in a way of fulfilling your life's purpose ever after.
-- *Abraham